Friday 4 November 2011

Damu the Fudgemonk

Here's an interesting video from a really neat musician, producer, and DJ. His name is Damu and he's probably the only producer who's still using a floppy disk sampler. I first heard from him when I downloaded his free 2008 album Overtime. He seems absolutely obsessed with music, and has developed a unique sound by sampling in this old school way.

There are a few cool videos of him performing outdoors, he brings a small generator with him to power his equipment. The sampler once it's loaded is played like an instrument. I 'd like to try to get a midi controller or a sampler for the tactile advantages it brings. Sampling and making loops with a keyboard and a mouse is feeling a little hollow to me.

Here's one of my favorite tracks of his. I love the crackles from the vinyl samples, 80's sounding drum machine, and that watery voice. Very pleasant hip-hop sounds, great for long hours at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment