Sunday 6 November 2011

The Avalanches

   
     The Avalanches are two Djs who produce amazing narratives with samples. Their 2007 album Since I Left You is one of my favorite albums, it contains more than 3,500 samples. The album wasn't intended for wide spread release and for this reason the artists didn't keep track of the samples for clearance. This meant they had a few issues later on when the album got popular. I get the impression that these samples were carefully selected and organized because despite the volume and variety of source material they are tastefully presented. The songs a bright, cheerful, dancy, and thoughtful and Since I Left You flows seamlessly from song to song.

    This video for "Frontier Psychiatrist" is also very well done where actors embody the samples and bring them to life before your eyes. I particularly like the overweight space DJ who drops to scratch it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment