Wednesday 5 October 2011

Remixing, and keeping things fresh.

 
      After watching that documentary on remixing (RIP: A Remix Manifesto), I feel like the recording industry is heading in the right direction. (Wether they like it or not.)

      The internet is all about sharing information. It has regulated the recording industry where our governments have failed us. While less money is made from record sales, musicians are still making money from live performances and must be seeing an increase in ticket sales because of internet exposure. I think of the it as a giant tax break for everyone.

     Having said that this documentary is more about the creative commons license than anything else. In terms of sampling I agree with the documentary's view that ideas and works of art should be allowed to be remixed and appropriated for cultural reasons. I want to see culture evolve. I dont want someone to own the rights to it, allow it to get stale, and then sell it to me over and over.

     But what shocked me most was the potential negative impact of patents on drug medication. If Girl Talk doesn't get to use a couple samples I dont think people see the impact but if people are denied affordable health care because of copyright laws the problem becomes evident. This is where the documentary hits hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment